Sunday, December 18, 2011

Book review for An Accidental Athlete by John "The Penguin" Bingham

This book was a lot of fun to read, I really enjoyed it.I read it in 2 days.

John Bingham didn't become a runner until he was 43 years old. He was overweight, uninspired and smoked a pack and half a day. He overcame excuses, such as "I'm too old or too slow" and he turned himself into an athlete.

It is a very humerous story. He talks about running his first mile, getting faster at running a mile, his trip to the running store, first races and races that followed.

"It turns inspiring, poignant, hilarious, and heartbreaking, An Accidental Athlete is the story of the unexpected joys of running-the pride of the finisher's medal, a bureau-busting t-shirt collection, back-of -the-pack strategizing. And one man's discovery that middle age was not the finish line after all, but only the beginning."-An Accidental Athlete.

About John Bingham: http://www.waddle-on.com/

To order: http://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Athlete-Funny-Happened-Middle/dp/1934030732/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324248017&sr=1-1

Quotes by John:
"As I've gotten older, I've had to learn to negotiate with my body."
"My brain said I didn't have anything left. My will said there is always something left. You just have to know where to look."
"The gift of self-discovery is one of the greatest gifts that comes from living as an athlete."

No comments:

Post a Comment