Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Time

I grew up in a house where my mother would always tell me "if your bored, your boring." When I was younger, when I was bored, I went to a friends house and we played with barbies or we rode are bikes, maybe played the Atari, we played dress up and make believe and we did it for hours. I didn't have a lot of friends,but enough to keep me occupied. I remember playing basketball with rocks, but only once. The lesson learned that day was "don't play basketball with rocks! Ouch, it hurt. I remember going out to the backyard and digging for worms, making things blow up, sticking the cat in the mailbox for the mailman to find or putting smoke bombs in the box for the mailman to find, making stink bombs...
I am now 35 years old, I have 2 young children of my own, they are 9 and 7 years old. They are constantly bored. Never mind the fact that they have a Wii, a nintendo ds for each of them, computer with internet, they do have neighborhood friends, but nope still bored. So, I have taught them my mothers wise life lesson, "if your bored, your boring."
My point in all of this, today I was bored. Really, really bored. I am training for my 6th ultra marathon, my new hobby in swimming is going well, I just lap swam for the 9th time, swimming 2.27 miles. But, on days when I am not exercising, not going to the store, not doing the ever so routine activities of being a house wife, I don't know what to do with my self. Even the idea of vacuuming is boring.....I can't get out of my ruts. I am bored all day, I tried to pick up my book, but only succeeded in reading a few pages. When my girls got home and my 7 year old found out how bored I was, she said "your boring!" Yup, that pretty much sums it up. I guess, I can be boring.
Do I have a solution, does my sob story have a happy ending? Sure, I am in my early stages of training and the training runs will get longer, keeping me away from the house longer, sure it's almost June and the kids will be home all day, every day, making me wish it were September. Their summer calender is filling it up with all their little activities, a family reunion, trip to Sunriver. I bet my husband, who will read this, will love it if I announced I was getting a job. But doing what? Will it be exciting? How about a career in running shoe testing?
I hope to teach my girls some day that not doing anything is okay, you can be bored and still. It is okay.
As of right now, I am doing one of my loves, writing. I have realized my blog was looking a little desperate. I am listening to my Ipod, my husband is installing our den floor, kids are away. I'm content.
But what about tomorrow?
"When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
I certainly hope to be one of those people who make things happen. But, honestly I have a ways to go to get to that goal. ~If I'm being honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment