Thursday, August 4, 2011

From 50 miles to 100 miles, a goal worth achieving


"Every higher distance was much more exciting than the last!" These were the words that I said during marathon training and why I chose to move on to Ultra Marathons.



I have now ran my 2nd 50 mile distance. So what is next? 


I am going to run my 3rd 50 on October 29th. I am returning back to the race of my first 50, Autumn Leaves in Champoeg, Or. After that I will rest for a few months (not really) until I start an eight month training schedule for my first 100.


I was very hesitant in choosing to run my first 50. I didn't see accomplishing the distance in my head for quite awhile and if I can't see it, I can't achieve it. Finally I did. Originally my first 50 was going to be Mt. Hood. But that was a goal that got put on hold thanks to a huge plantar wart that crippled my training. Once that was removed by pretty much force with a lot of scraping and laser treatments, I decided to run the Autumn Leaves race instead as my first. Autumn Leaves was basically a road run, some trail, but it went around a loop 8 times. I ran that in 9:55 and have now just completed my 2nd 50, the Mt. Hood 50 in a minute shy of 12 hours. 


I have decided for training for my 3rd 50, I will tweak the schedule to work up to run 25 miles one day and 25 the next, 50 in two days. I was running 50 in 3. I also need to increase my speed again. I would like to run a 9:40 pace again. There is a time limit on the Autumn Leaves 50 and for some reason, I got a lot slower when I trained for the Mt. Hood 50, likely because of the trail running. But, it is now time to pick it up again.


100 mile distance. For some reason, running a 100 miles entered my mind as doable easier than running those 50 miles. 

“If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.”

"If you can dream it, then you can achieve it."

I find myself running and thinking about the 100 mile distance: race planning, about training, getting a pacer, saving $ for it, etc. I've been reading advice blogs on how to run your first 100.

I plan on running Rio Del Lago. It is traditionally held in September. I will run it in 2012.http://www.desertskyadventures.com/rdl/ 

For training, I will use the Santa Clarita Runners Club. I've used them for the past 2 50's and 6-8 50k's. Their schedule works for me. Here is a link to the schedule. http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-100m.asp

I will be going from the 50 mile distance to the 100. Some wouldn't advise that, perhaps, I should run a 100K first. I don't know.In the back of my mind, I hear the quote, "at first you don't succeed, try try again." But, I believe I can achieve the 100 mile distance with proper training and a mind that is loudly saying "you can do it!" and a heart that wants it badly enough. I only have one life to live, why not take the risk? I say go for it Jeannie!

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanne
    I'm not a runner but found your post very inspirational. I have flat feet so running the distance in football practice was very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Just saw your profile on the DM and requested you as a friend seeing that you have done several ultras. I am training for my first in December. Keep running and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. My writing has slowed down since the kids are out of school. I have been keeping up with my running adventures at least.I look forward to hearing about your training Mike.

    ReplyDelete