Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know.
You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.
You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed. You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you’ll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

Children often dream of being something when they get older. One of my children wants to be a singer, another wants to be a teacher one day, a veterinarian the next. The point is, children dream big!

View overlooking the Columbia River and 205 bridge
Unfortunately, when I was a teenager, I never had a clue what I wanted to be. But, I had a talent in the works, endurance, and adventure. I was 17 and I would often ride my bike from my home in Milwaukie, Oregon to the Oregon/Washington border. It was such a thrill riding the 30 mile distance. Once I got to the Columbia River, I would sit for about 10 minutes and I ride back, full speed. I can still remember the wind through my hair, the stretch in my legs. When I was done, I felt absolutely great and couldn't wait to ride again.




Although, my sport has changed to running,the need for that new adventure, that new distance, the desire to push myself to see how far I can go, is still there.

I just ran my 3rd 50 and am still in recovery mode. I have added my recovery to my 100 mile training guide, so I can say that I am officially training for my first 100, the Rio Del Lago 100. I am going to still put my name in for Western States for 2012, but don't expect to get in.

As promised, I am going to document my runs, my training. You can follow me on the dailymile. http://www.dailymile.com/people/Jeannie5#ref=tophd

But for this week, I am starting out low with runs of 2, 2, 2, 6, 2 for the week of Nov 6, I am running 2, 2, 4, 8, 4.

I am also introducing three new items into my training:

Hoka Bondi B's or my Hoka Polkas as I have nicknamed them. http://www.mysaltlakerunningco.com/saltlake/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=9100&pf_id=PAHNAAONKAEIEKIN

Nuun http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NUN103/?cc=ASST2

and the Ultimate Direction Diablo http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-557-diablo.aspx?category=packs
Now I must say that I took a chance with the Diablo. I wore it the entire distance at the 50. I had only trained with it for 10 miles. You are not supposed to add anything new at a race and I did that. But, happy story, it was great. I never had any chafing on my back like my last hydration pack would give me.

Life is short, what are your dreams? What do you desire to do? What is stopping you? Go out and get it?

I like the quote; "What Would You Do If You Knew You Couldn't Fail?" Why not apply that to your life?

Take a chance, just go for it 

No comments:

Post a Comment