Monday, November 14, 2011

How is training going?

"Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells 'CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper 'can'. And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are."
 
Week 3 of training for my first 100 mile run begins.

In the previous weeks, I ran a total of 14 miles, then 20 miles the next. I called these my recovery from the 10/29 50.
Actual training has officially begun. For the next 2 weeks, I will run 2 4  4 10 and 6 for 26 weeks, next week (Thanksgiving week) I will run 2 4 6 12 8 for a total of 32 miles. I keep missing the trail, so I find myself headed that way 2-3 times a week. 

The highlights of the past few weeks include:

1. Running with my husband, who has taken up running for his health. I don't run with him as part of my daily routine, but make it extra. I didn't include the runs with him in my totals above.

2. While out running with him one night, it was extremely dark as my town doesn't have any street lights where we were running and I seriously just about ran into 3 huge elk! They were in a neighbor’s yard eating from the apple tree. I only heard the dogs barking as was concerned about them. Oops!

3. I signed up for Western States 100 mile endurance run, well the lottery. The lottery will take place on Dec. 10th and only 369 are allowed in. I think it is accomplishment just qualifying to sign up for the lottery. If I get in, I won't do Rio Del Lago in September as Western States is June 23rd, 2012. It was fun to sign up, I was asked all these health related questions, like have I had an operation in the past 5 years? Do I have diabetes? Do I have heart problems? Etc. Who knew back in 2005 when I made the decision to run my first marathon that I would one day sign up for Western States.We'll see if I get lucky. There is only a 10% chance that I will get in. The last time I looked at the number of applicants, there were over 1200, registration for the lottery ends 11/26. . http://www.ws100.com/home.html

 "The thing I don't like about Western States is that you show up at the
starting line in the best shape of your life and a day later you are in
Auburn in the worst shape of your life."
- Andy Black, on Western States


No comments:

Post a Comment