Sunday, October 3, 2010

The story of how I went from 24 miles to 26.30

Today I was scheduled to run 24 miles.
I parked at the Lower Macleay trail. I did a 2 mile out and back on the streets prior to heading up Lower Mac. I was not feeling good and was blaming my normal breakfast consisting of an english muffin with egg, bacon and cheese. I think I am so done with my normal breakfast. I thought I was going to throw it up. I felt completely sluggish heading up the trail. About 4 miles into the run, I began to feel better and continued on. I turned around at Nature trail, ate my fist 1/2 of PBJ sandwich and took a salt tab and went back. I then changed shoes, re-filled my pack, grabbed the other 1/2 sandwich and headed for downtown. I went over the Steel bridge and all the way to the Spring Water trail, then turned around.
Okay, this is how my 24 turned into 26.30. I went back over the Steel bridge and noticed a train coming. Well, yes I had to wait for the stupid thing. 2 minutes of waiting turned into 8 and the train stops. I was sitting down on a railing, then got up and this other very annoyed runner says to me "the train is completely backed up." I then thought to myself "Wait a minute, why don't I quit wasting time since I'm freezing now and just go a mile or so down this way, when I come back 20 minutes later, the train should be gone." Sure enough, when I came back the train was gone. When I got back to my car, my watch read 26.30 miles. I had no medal once again, but a happy spirit.
When I got home, I took a very cold ice bath which left me shivering for 4 minutes into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment