Wednesday, October 27, 2010

To Give Anything Less than Your Best is to Sacrifice the Gift


‎ “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, an hour, a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”



It is 3 days till my first 50.

Even though the butterflies inside my stomach are becoming overwhelming, I decided to be "normal" today.

I did not sleep well last night at all. I thought that maybe God thought I was mocking him when last night, I told my husband that when the prayer lady at church prayed for me on Saturday and prayed that I would sleep very peacefully this week, maybe he thought I was being sarcastic. Oh wait, it's God, he knows my heart. I was even in bed at 9:30 and thought "oh sweet, I don't have to wake till 7, that's 9.5 hours of sleep!" Uh huh!!!

I very sleepily had my coffee this morning, got my girls ready for school, kind of kicking them out of the house as they were fighting over a yo-yo. "But mom, she said I could bring it to school!" "Uh no toys at school! Now beat it!!"

I ate oatmeal and raisins and an egg for breakfast. I know I am getting ready for a big race when I eat oatmeal for breakfast. I know it is good for me and breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I hate breakfast. I would much rather have last night’s leftover dinner.

I only had to run 2 miles today for my "taper" run. As I was coming home, I stepped on a small, hidden pine cone and slightly twisted my ankle, not falling. I was fine, but emotions were pretty mad at the potential for actually hurting myself. After all this training...a pine cone on a 2 mile run, my last run before my first 50 is what prevents me from running this thing? I don't think so.

Last night, my daughter dropped all the eggs off the refrigerators shelf and we had 4 eggs left. Also coffee is getting low, as well as the ground hamburger and cheese. So that was enough of an inspiration to get my lazy butt over to Costco.

Even if I did not sleep well last night, I do feel better than I did yesterday. Yesterday, I thought my kids were trying to give me their colds. Not a good time for me to get a cold. I've been fueling my body with vitamins and herbs.

We have been having trouble with our kids and lying. They are testing us and trying to find out what they can get away with. Once again, my older daughter didn't bring home all her necessary homework. "But mom, I have to do those 3 math lessons at school." She says. “Right.” I decided to leave her at home so that I could go have a private chat with her teacher. The teacher was in a hour long meeting. I did get to go through my daughter's desk and grab 4 math lessons. I don't feel sorry for her as she was boo hoo hooing at home. She let the work pile up. I took away her Ninento DS and her IPOD until further notice.

Ah life goes on. I do wish I could sleep more.

You know as I was driving to Costco today, I was thinking about the race and how it just kind of sits out there in the distance staring at me. The big day slowly gets closer and closer and for once, I felt truly excited. I can't wait. The race director keeps mentioning all the food he has bought or is buying. I mean we are talking $500 worth of Subway sandwiches and $80 worth of candy corn! Sweet.

Wouldn't it be nice if running 50 miles just didn't hurt at all?

I was told of this story yesterday. An Olympic marathoner, John S. Akhwari (1968 Mexico) the final competitor, was injured and very late. He staggered and limped across the finish line -to enormous cheers...! When asked why he did not quit,... he replied, ’My country did not send me 5000 miles to start... the race. They sent me 5000 miles to finish the race." This is awesome!

Well I suppose to my own little world. I could say, "My husband didn't wake up at 4AM and my family didn't drive all the way to the race event to watch me start, they came out to watch me finish the race!"

So even if I am still running or jogging or even if I have to crawl or limp, one way or another, I'm making it across that finish line!!!

"I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done "

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

No comments:

Post a Comment