"Speak boldly and with intellect .Never hush your voice for someone's comfort.Speak your mind ,make people uncomfortable."
I’ve been reluctant to post this one until today when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I’ve kept this quote in my computer downloads for a few months. At first, when I thought of the quote, I thought of a bully towering over someone smaller and just yelling at them. It seemed rude. Make someone uncomfortable? I don’t think you should make people uncomfortable I thought. Recently, I’ve changed my perception of the quote. I’ve been thinking of this quote and how it applies to my own life. People should be allowed to change and grow. A person in a marriage or partnership needs to be able to grow and evolve or we get smothered and live a life of regrets. We really never are the same people we were 10+ years ago. For myself, 15 years ago, I was newly divorced and in my party stage, I even pierced my belly button. I was probably more fun, drank too much beer and probably made a lot of dumb mistakes. But, I grew up, wised up and I believe changed for the better.
Here I am 39, less than 1 month until I’m 40 and I’m thinking about my life. My kids are 13 and 11 and the time until they are in college and out of the house will come quick, too quick. It in fact terrifies me! My biggest fear is that I’m going to look at my spouse and I won’t know who he is, I won’t even know who I am. My husband and I have been so involved in my kid’s lives; their needs and their activities. What about me? What about my marriage? What will happen to us? I’ve achieved a great deal already with my running, triathlons and motivational page. But, what do I want for the remainder of my life? What are my goals and my dreams? I feel so passionate about living more of a fulfilled life and, I will scream at the top of my lungs if I have to, to get my wants and desires heard! I will not be hushed. I will not stay silent!
What about you? What are your dreams and goals? Write them down and shout them out for the world to hear! Don’t stay silent. Don’t allow anyone to allow you to live a life that is full of regrets including yourself. Go crazy and make your voice heard!!
Then take action! Make progress towards your dreams and don’t stop until you’re satisfied. If you achieve one goal, set another and then another. “Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
I came across a list of the top 10 deathbed regrets, several of them are about living life to the fullest.
“Top 10 Deathbed Regrets:
1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life other people expected of me.
2. I wish I took time to be with my children more when they were growing up.
3. I wish I had the courage to express my feelings, without the fear of being rejected or unpopular.
4. I wish I would have stayed in touch with friends and family.
5. I wish I would have forgiven someone when I had the chance.
6. I wish I would have told the people I loved the most how important they are to me.
7. I wish I would have had more confidence and tried more things, instead of being afraid of looking like a fool.
8. I wish I would have done more to make an impact in this world.
9. I wish I would have experienced more, instead of settling for a boring life filled with routine, mediocrity and apathy.
10. I wish I would have pursued my talents and gifts.
― Contributed by Shannon L. Alder