Friday, February 19, 2010

Great equalizer


The following text is from the book that I am reading, 50/50. I had to re-read it a few times. I think it truly speaks what marathoners and ultramarathoners go through during races.

"I love to interact with people when they're most exposed-when every layer of pretension and vanity has been stripped away and left strewn along the pathway. The marathon mercilessly rips off the outer layers of our defenses and leaves the raw human, vulnerable and naked. It is here you get an honest glimpse into the soul of an individual. Every insecurity and character flaw is open and on display for all the world to see. No communication is ever more real, no expression ever more honest. There is nothing left to hide behind. The marathon is the great equalizer. Every movement, every word spoken and unspoken, is radiant truth. The veil has been obliterated. These are the profound moments of human interaction that I live for."~Dean Karnazes

Tomorrow, 2/20, I am running my 5th 31 mile race.

No comments:

Post a Comment